Grilled salmon sandwiches + roasted potatoes + corn on the cob= summer perfection! Perhaps you will make it this Memorial Day?
If you have no go-to summer salmon recipe, please make this it. It’s perfect for company, easy (if not preferable) to make the sauce ahead of time, and is a sure crowd-pleaser. My friend Bethany made this for us last summer and it has become a family favorite. Plus, it beats a burger on the health front, if you’re into that sort of thing. I also love that we can grab virtually all of the greens straight from our vegetable garden to make this super fresh!
- 2 pounds fresh salmon filets (we used sockeye)
- Good olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
For the sauce:
- 1 cup good mayonnaise (or better yet, vegenaise, which is made with much healthier and tastier grape seed oil)
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 3/4 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 12 fresh basil leaves
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped scallions (white and green parts)
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 teaspoons capers, drained
- 6 fresh brioche or ciabatta rolls (4-inch round)
- 1/4 pound mesclun mix or fresh basil leaves (we used basil from our garden, of course!)
For the salmon, heat coals in an outdoor grill and brush the top of the grill with oil. Rub the outside of the salmon with olive oil, salt, and pepper, to taste. Grill for 5 minutes on each side, or until the salmon is almost cooked through. Remove to a plate and allow it to rest for 15 minutes.
For the sauce, place the mayonnaise (or veganaise), sour cream, vinegar, basil, dill, scallions, salt, and pepper in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Process until combined. Add the capers and pulse 2 or 3 times. (I usually make ahead and store in the refrigerator all day- I find that it helps the flavors combine).
To assemble the sandwiches, slice the rolls in 1/2 crosswise. Spread a
cup tablespoon of sauce on each cut side. On the bottom 1/2, place basil leaves and then a piece of salmon. Place the top of the roll on the salmon and serve immediately. And enjoy your summery meal!
I am on my way to Baltimore bright and early this morning and I absolutely cannot wait to see my bestie Mary and her lovely family. Hope you have a glorious Memorial Weekend!